Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Lessons

There are so many stories to tell and I am not sure where to start.
Last week's lectures were about hearing the voice of God. Yes, He speaks to us! How else do you communicate with someone you are in a relationship with? Many times I ask God to speak when I need His direction or guidance but I have learned that He wants to tell me so much more than that if I will just be silent and listen. John 15:12-15 explains that Jesus no longer calls us servants, but friends. A servant listens for instructions, but a friend listens to the heart. We are able to know the heart of God because His Spirit lives within us. So, we had a night of asking for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit, and man did He show up! The joy and powerful presence of God filled the room. Some people laughed, some cried, some were on the ground, some danced around, some spoke in tongues. I know that not everyone who reads this believes in these things, but I am just giving you an honest account of what occured. Needless to say, it was very exciting! The Father is so loving! He does not withold good things from His children and when we know His love, it makes us want to love Him in return.

We finally went on our first little backpacking trip last weekend. A group of 16 of us hiked Lewis Pass and then hiked to Douglas Lake where we camped in a hut/cabbin or tents. The trees were so green and the distant surrounding mountains were capped with snow, it was so gorgeous! For a few people in the group, this was their first time summitting a mountain! We sang hymns on the way back down and I will never forget the experience. When we hiked to the hut, we met a small group of fishermen who were staying in the hut as well. While I prepared dinner for the team, some of my friends used the opportunity to have good conversations with the fishermen. In the morning 3 of us sat on the dock of the misty lake and read scriptures out loud to eachother- another moment I will treasure forever.

This week's lectures are on evangelism. Our teacher is Len Du Preez who has been a backpacking missionary with his son for 10 years. He has been all over the world sharing the gospel and has the most amazing stories! He has taught us to rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us in the best way to share Jesus with each person we meet. He gave us various methods, questions, tracks, and practical ways to share our faith/testimony, but the Lord will be the one to guide each opportunity. I can't wait for outreach phase where our entire purpose everyday is to share the Gospel with whomever we meet!

God is so good!!! I just want to love Him with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength!
Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure  :)

We are so excited to be going backpacking!

The distant snow covered mountains visable from the base of Lewis Pass

I made it to the top with the guys...the Lord is my strength! 45 minutes later the rest of the ladies joined us. From that day on they call me by my trail name "Gazelle" when we hike.

We were in a cloud when we first got to the top, but then the cloud slowly rolled away and the view was glorious! Praising God from the top of the mountain!

This picture give a bit of the perspective from the top. So many green hills!

Photo bombed while sitting in a tree.

Trees!

This was the "hut" on Douglas Lake. There is no electricity, only a wood burning stove, bunk beds, running water, and counter space...I call this luxury camping!  For cost-efficiency I slept in the tent outside to the right of the hut in the picture.

The lake in the morning when the fog had lifted

Backpacking for Jesus!

Two baby goats with mama. See how tiny they are!!

I couldn't resist.

Typical New Zealand... this view never gets old.

Never seen a sign like that one... not sure why he's driving a tractor...

Our guys made a German meal for everyone. It was delicious!

New Zealand sunrise

My small group: Rachel, Chloe, and Katie. We enjoyed some real hot chocolate.

Spring time snow! And I thought I would be missing winter this year ... I've had more winter in two days here than all season in San Diego.

4 comments:

  1. I love it all! And that cute little baby goat is smiling! Love you, friend! Ducks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Baby goats love me! ;) And I love my Ducks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Amy
    Im in wow with your views of God and how much you love him and my husband is in wow with the scenery - he is an avid hiker. Dr Slack is my friend and coworker. He always talks so highly of you. It was surely great to read your blog and learn that we have a great love for him in common.
    Sincerely
    Susan Bowen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I remember you! Thank you so much for reading my blog and I am very pleased to hear that your husband enjoys my pictures. :) Will you please give Dr. Slack a big hug for me?
      Blessings to you, Susan! Have a wonderful week!
      Love,
      Amy

      Delete