Thursday, November 14, 2013

Life at YWAM Oxford Base

There is something special about YWAM Oxford. There are YWAM bases all over the world, I could have done my DTS in a different location, but this is where my Father wanted me, and I am so glad He sent me here.

Fact: New Zealand is the furthest country from Israel; and Christchurch, NZ is the furthest city from Jerusalem. So, when Jesus told His disciples go to the ends of the earth, I am literally fulfilling that calling.

Romans 12:8 encourages those with a gift in leadership, to lead with zeal. There is a pattern of leadership all throughout my life. The Lord continues to place me in positions of leadership wherever I am at and many times He has confirmed this gift through the encouragements of other people. Therefore, not believing in coincidences, I find it interesting that the Lord sent me to a land called "new-zeal-land" to develop my character and the call He has placed on my life.

Angels and Mortals Week:
The clues and gifts for my treasure hunt
Last week was very fun because we all randomly drew a name of someone who was to be our secret "mortal" for the week and we were to bless them as their "angel" every day. On the last day we held a Love Feast (Lord of the Rings themed) where we revealed who our mortal was. I walked into the bathroom Monday morning and there was a display on the counter with my name on it which held 3 home-made head bands from my angel. I loved it! During lunch, I had someone deliver a big chocolate bar to my mortal. On Tuesday I made my mortal a jewelry tree from some branches and hung a necklace and headband on it for her and left it out for her with a note about the meaning of her name. My angel sent me on a treasure hunt throughout the base with clues for me to follow and little notes along the way speaking of my identity.
The bow and arrows from my angel
One day I received fresh backed chocolate chip cookies (my favorite) and on the last day my angel left me a bow and quiver of arrows she made (for my Love Feast costume).
I think you get the idea, but people were so creative! Some declaired "give so-and-so a hug day" or people had songs sung to them during meal times, or boquets of flowers given, or journals of encouraging notes and stories written by all of us, or a seat of honor (recliners brought in) for class, or a back rub, or chores being done by other people, etc. Every time you turned around, someone was being blessed, honored, and appreciated and all of it came from a sincere love for one another. On the last day I painted my mortals nails saying "your angel would like me to paint your nails for the Love Feast." When we all got together for the feast some were dressed for the theme, others just dressed up nicely. We ate an American Thanksgiving style feast, took turns guessing who our angels were and discovering whether we were right or if it was someone else, and ended the evening with some fun communal line-dancing. What a joyous occasion!
Me and Nicki (backpacker school leader)

Everyone who dressed up for the Love Feast theme

My outreach team (Katie, Rachel, Sarah, Cate, and I)
Gabe and David were Frodo and Sam
Elf in New Zealand!


The following day the Lord gave me Hebrews 13 to share with everyone, which says "let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." I encourage you, reader of my blog, to do the same. Wherever you find yourself today, look for ways to bless others. Live a life of love just as Christ has loved us.


Here are some more fun photos capturing community life on base:
I'm a ninja on the slack-line! (we make up theme days and dress up for no particular reason) This is legit, I have learned how to slack-line, so this is not a staged picture, I am proud to say.

"Eye" love this prank! My small-group invaded the men's house and left them some "eye-opening" surprises.

Notes of encouragement and cookies we made for the guys.

Kimmie, Sarah and Chloe flower arranging in the bathroom.

Weekend warrior team making delicious southern style BBQ (Matt, me, Samuel, Ruby, and Jo in front)

Weekend warriors secretly eating chocolate cake in the refrigerator.
Yes, I am so blessed and I make sure to thank my Father every day for this awesome community and gorgeous country I find myself living in. Soon we will all be scattered throughout the world pouring out on people the love that we have received in abundance from God.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Amy, I am so glad to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog "The Mustered Seed" and the post on it "Life at YWAM Oxford Base". So nice to know about your life at Oxford Base. I have a long association with YWAM as this Organization first came in Mumbai, India during 1980's. This base in Mumbai was started by Australian couple. My wife attended the first DTS held in Mumbai, India and since than I received many national and International term of YWAM to share the good news in theslums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 34yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor in the slums of Mumbai with the love of Christ to share the good news and bring healing to the broken hearted. we also encourage young as well as adults from the west to come on a short term missions trip to work with us. I would be so happy if your encourage other young people whom you know from YWAM to go on a short term missons trip to work with us. I would be so glad if you experience the life in the Slums of Mumbai I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon

    ReplyDelete