Sunday, November 3, 2013

Passover, healings, and glow worms

Our 5th week's lectures were about missions and Jewish evangelism by an amazingly loving man named Scott Brown. Scott is a Jewish believer who runs a free camp for Israeli backpackers in southern New Zealand. He taught us the goal as a disciple is to make more disciples, which is possible because all authority belongs to Jesus (Matt 28:16-20). Baptism is identification, total immersion into the person of God (in Christ). We did a little study on verses which tell of our identity "in Christ." Wow! Our union with God is astounding! It changes the way we think and live when we believe all that is spoken of our true identity, making a distinction between my flesh and my new nature in Jesus. One day Scott explained to us the 7 feasts of Israel and what each of them means. Hearing Passover described by a Jew who understands how each element is fulfilled in Jesus was amazing. The Gospels come alive in a whole new way when you read it from the eyes of Judaism.
As for my experiences outside the classroom, I have a few fun stories to tell you.
On Wednesday I got to perform 1 Corinthians 13 for our corporate devotion time. What I mean by perform is that I memorize the chapter and add feeling, emphasis, drama to the text as I speak it out. This is a gift God has given me and I love to bless people with it.
During one of our worship sessions we had a sense that there was much doubt and unbelief among us. So, practicing what we have been taught, we declared out faith in truth correlating with the areas of doubt (ie. thinking God is silent, proclaiming "I believe you speak to me!") and then we prayed for healings. Many people were healed that night from back problems, knee pain, etc.
One morning I was reading 1 Peter during my devotion time and chapter 3, verse 5-6 stood out to me which says "for this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening." I thought about what it means and why it is important not to fear anything frightening. During base worship, after devos, my sister Kimmie came over to pray for me and she said "Amy, the word God is giving me for you is 'fearless'." Wow! The Lord spoke to me from His word and confirmed it through His  Spirit in Kimmie. This always amazes me!
We took a trip on the weekend to the West coast. The waves were huge! We didn't see any penguins, even though we were in penguin territory, but I did get to see glow worms. This is an awesome creation of God (I think He likes impressing us with glow-in-the-dark stuff) and they look like constellations on the roof of the cave. My camera wouldn't capture them, but this photo I found online is pretty much what it looked like.

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    As I read your posts I see God's light shining out through your life and commitment. You are like a glowworm showing forth God's glorious light, and part of the constellation of believers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a cool metaphor, dad! Thanks! Also, I love you so much and am so proud to have you as my dad!

      Delete