Sunday, November 10, 2013

Original Design

Wow, I don't know how to start when explaining what I learned this week. It was the kind of lesson that bridges the gap between what we read in the New Testament and what we experience today. We know that God has uniquely designed each one of us (Psalm 139, Eph 2:10) but have you ever been prayed over by strangers who ask God how He designed you? This was my experience this week. Adam and Shane came from Washington state to share with us the importance of knowing our original design and receiving freedom to be who we were made to be. When they prayed for me in front of the class (each of us had our turn) the Lord told them the following things about my design: I like to study the deep things of God, I am a servant who likes to make sure everyone is OK, they got an image of me carrying a huge backpack (remember, these men had never met me before and knew nothing about me, so when they said this, everyone in the class reacted in astonishment because they knew the accuracy of that vision), they said that I am one who guards joy and thanksgiving without complaining, I am a woman of faith who has a simple positivity with a countenance of light and there is power behind my good attitude. There were other details they stated, but those were the key principles. Those of you who know me would agree that these words describe me because you have seen this design of God in me. But coming from complete strangers who were simply asking the Father who He made me, His daughter, to be, it was so affirming to hear these words. When I am confident in knowing my identity, I can more quickly identify what is not intrinsically me (such as fear, laziness, frailty, doubt, ect.) and I can declare that those things do not define who I am and have no part in me. Adam and Shane are ordinary men who have learned to hear the voice of the Father. All people are made with an original design by God and knowing His unique design for us not only helps us as believers, but also non-believers when the Spirit reveals to us who someone is and we share it with them, it displays God's omniscience (all- knowing) and personal interest in their lives. I have always wondered at verses like 1 Cor 2:1-5 that talk about witnessing with a demonstration of God's power and not lofty words/wisdom of speech. Now I understand more of this looks like. Partnering with Jesus through the Spiritual gifts of prophecy/words of knowledge, demonstrating that He is the One true God who speaks to His people. What a platform for sharing the Gospel! "The God who revealed these truths about you to me, a perfect stranger, wants to have a relationship with you and He loves you so much that He sent His only son to die for your sins...etc." This was displayed when Jesus spoke with the Samaritan woman at the well.
Some of you may still be wrestling with the fact that God speaks to you. This may help: we know the Lord speaks to us on the basis of 3 things 1) His nature- He is a speaking God (Gen 1, John 1:1) He is always communicating with His creation and God does not change. 2) Our relationship to Him as His sheep- John 10, you don't have to be a prophet to hear God's voice, you just have to be a sheep. 3) spiritual gifting 1 Cor 14:1. I hope that helps you because it helped me to have confidence when I am listening to God.
We also had a lesson about strongholds and bondages (2 Cor 10:3-5). One method for destroying these strongholds are the 4 R's: Repent (confess sin), Receive (accept God's forgiveness and that He remembers our sin no longer), Rebuke (prayer of authority over the enemy), Replace (declare the truth about who we are in Christ). This is an ongoing process, but already I have experienced freedom by following these guidelines. Words have so much power (James 3:6), even to bring life or death (Prov 18:21). This is why we declare out the truth and why we must bless instead of curse (Luke 28). Some of our bondages have come from false words spoken to us or the absent of true words. So, if you notice me speaking or emailing blessings to you, this is why. :)
 Learning such powerful lessons this week was so exciting and I was eager to put it to practice. However, it was my turn as a "weekend warrior" with 4 other students who stayed at base to make meals, do laundry, and clean bathrooms rather than traveling out on an adventure. So I took a walk on Saturday morning to pray. I was alone praying and repenting and God started bringing up strongholds in my life (in the area of family and how I have been treating my family as broken and not the way God sees it) I started bawling as the Lord gently took me through repentance, receiving, rebuke, and replacement. As I left with a new found sense of freedom and thanksgiving I was walking back and met a farmer who was sawing a fallen tree by the road. We started talking and I shared about God with him (it was a long discussion and I wont get into all the details here) and I prayed for healing for his back injuries (I don't know if God healed him or not). It was so awesome being used unexpectedly by God when I came from an attitude of repentance and applying what I had learned.
Our God is so awesome!!! I hope all that made sense and if you have questions or need clarity, please email or leave a comment and I will be happy to try to explain.

2 comments:

  1. I completely loved this post, what an amazing sermon. It's something we don't think about nearly enough and I believe will really change the way we live the more we understand it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very blessed by this post too. The word of knowledge portion reminded me of the time I received group prayer from a small team at my friend Angie's church close to 4 years ago. These people who prayed for me didn't know me and in the hour session of listening to the holy spirit they covered some precise things. They each had a note pad and wrote the words down and at the end of the session, they gave them to me. Your post encouraged me to pull them out. The one on Original Design said, " Seed of truth was planted and nutured, you have been tasked to keep it watered abd properly fertilized! Well done, my good and faithful servant" Some others said, Joy at my dawn, tender, compassionate and some other things. I can't remember a more peaceful time in Gods presence sitting in that quite room with people who prayed with me. Special moment for sure!

    ReplyDelete